Tuition-Free CE Classes on Storm Recovery for Affected Community Members
Register Now for Tuition Free Storm Response Classes
Richland College is offering one hour, tuition-free continuing education classes on various topics related to storm recovery in response to the Oct. 20 tornadoes and resulting damage that have impacted employees, students and the local community.
These free one hour sessions will be offered 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 9, and Saturday, Nov. 16. All classes will be located at Richland College in Sabine Hall, room SH118. Attendees may sign up for single sessions, multi-sessions, a half day or a full day. Interested participants are encouraged to RSVP by clicking here.
The offered classes include:
- DIY Home Repairs After a Tornado: When to do it yourself and save money, and when you should hire a professional. This class will be offered in partnership by Home Depot and reputable local contractors.
- Protect Yourself AFTER the Storm: Home repair scams can cost you. Learn some tips to protect yourself from repair scams by learning how to spot home repair fraud. This class will be offered in partnership by local insurance personnel experienced in personal property and casualty insurance and by the Richardson Police Department.
- Navigating the Insurance Process After a Tornado: What is personal property and casual insurance? Learn more about creating a home inventory, filing insurance claims and preparing for home insurance reviews. This class will be offered by local insurance personnel experienced in personal property and casualty insurance.
- Basic Home Safety: Make a plan and review your emergency sheltering, family communication, homeland security and basic home safety plans. This class will be offered by a certified homeland security instructor, firefighters, paramedics and Richland college staff.
- Disaster Planning for Small Business: Review your plan and learn the steps to take to rebuild after a significant loss of property and resources. This class will be offered in partnership by the Small Business Development Council and the Garland Chamber of Commerce.
- Community Resources in a Time of Crisis: Learn what local help is available to support you through this difficult time. Local companies, businesses and organizations have opened their doors to provide assistance with showers, food, hydration, mobile storage units, transportation, co-working spaces, legal aid, housing assistance and other support. This class will be presented by the Network of Community Ministries staff and Richland College staff.
- Emotional Support After a Natural Disaster: Meet with trained counseling staff to discuss ways to cope with emotions related to loss after a natural disaster. Get referrals to other agencies and support services that might be needed at this time. This class will be offered by Richland College Counseling Services staff.
Richland College is located at 12800 Abrams Rd. in Dallas. Directions to the campus and an on-campus map are available at www.richlandcollege.edu/maps. In addition to offering the tuition-free storm recovery classes, Richland College has also compiled a list of resources for those affected by the storms, available at http://rlc5.dcccd.edu/media/north-texas-storm-damage-update.
For more information, call Richland College Continuing Education at 972-238-6972 or email RLCCE@dcccd.edu.