Want to “Spice Up” Your Resume?
Are you about to enter the job market? What credentials do you have on your resume that might catch a potential employer’s eye?
Many individuals looking for employment are learning that computer skills are very important and often required. How is it possible to display on your resume that you are proficient in using application programs such and Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
Let’s take a look at the Microsoft Office Specialist Certification program. This program offers exams in the most current version of Office (2016) as well as the two previous versions, Office 2013 and Office 2010.
Microsoft Office 2016 Specialist Certifications are offered in the following categories:
- Microsoft Word 2016
- Microsoft Excel 2016
- Microsoft PowerPoint 2016
- Microsoft Access 2016
- Microsoft Outlook 2016
- Microsoft Word 2016 Expert
- Microsoft Excel 2016 Expert
All Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification exams are timed and require a comprehensive knowledge of the features provided by the software. Click on the following link to download the exam objectives for one or all of these exams. These objectives provide a list of tasks you could be asked to perform when taking the exam and serve as a guide to assess your current skill level and prepare to take one of the exams. You may need to scroll down to see the objectives.
Here is a partial sample (not in order) of the Excel 2016 Exam Objectives:
Creating and Manage Worksheets and Workbooks
- Create a workbook
- Import data from a delimited text file
- Add a worksheet to an existing workbook
- Copy and move a worksheet
Navigate in Worksheets and Workbooks
- Search for data within a workbook
- Navigate to a named cell, range, or workbook element
- Insert and remove hyperlinks
Format Worksheets and Workbooks
- Change worksheet tab color
- Rename a worksheet
- Change worksheet order
- Modify page setup
- Insert and delete columns and rows
- Change workbook themes
- Adjust row height and column width
- insert headers and footers
Perform Conditional Operations by using Functions
- Perform logical operations by using the IF function
- Perform logical operations by using the SUMIF function
- Perform logical operations by using the AVERAGEIF function
- Perform logical operations by using the COUNTIF function
Format and Modify Text by using Functions
- Format text by using RIGHT, LEFT, and MID functions
- Format text by using UPPER, LOWER, and PROPER functions
- Format text by using the CONCATENATE function
Richland College is a Certified Microsoft Testing Center. The Business Office Systems and Support department offers courses both in the classroom and online in Office 2016 applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access). These courses are designed to prepare students to attempt with confidence the Microsoft Office Specialist certification exam for the course in which they are enrolled.
If you are thinking of going back to work, changing careers, or entering the job market for the first time, MOS certifications are excellent credentials to add to your resume. Employers know that certification guarantees knowledge without further training and often look for these credentials on a candidate’s resume.
For more information on the Business Office Systems and Support department, contact Angela Nino, Lead Faculty, ANino@dcccd.edu, 972-238-6215.